Sunday, October 16, 2011

Red Heart Faux Brioche Beret



Red Heart Yarns or Coast and Clark, have so many free patterns for all levels of knitters and crocheters.  I've been playing around with different patterns but found this one the most fun so far.  Faux Brioche Beret calling for their Boutique yarn.  I say playing around because I don't have any Boutique yarn so tried it with the same size needles, size 9, but used 4 dpns because I didn't have the circular needle.

I started with size 8 dpns because I thought that's what I would use throughout but with increasing, I found they weren't long enough so I had some much longer size 9s that I had so switched to them when I had to increase.

I followed the pattern religiously as usual, but when it came to decreasing, I had a problem and it could have been my yarn choice but don't think so.  They have you decrease but you don't stay in the stitch pattern other than to k1 p1.  The whole beret was knitted one row knitting into the stitch of the row below and the purl row purling into the stitch of the row below.  When it came to decreasing, it didn't say to continue going into the stitch of the row below.  What happened was that it got too small to fast, I think and it created a definite line of pattern change and suddenly got flat and turned into a point!  I didn't like that at all.

I emailed Coats and Clark and have yet to hear but they are always so good about helping me with my questions I know I"ll hear sometime this week.

I ripped out all the decrease rows and reknitted them as stated but going into the row below wherever I possibly could.  It made a much better finish on the top, which is worn laying to the back.  Also, because I used the Super Saver yarn, I need to knit at least 4 more rows, I think.  That's my gauge anyway.

I think what drew me to it first was the coloration of the yarn.  Of course, mine isn't quite as pretty but I have some Super Saver variegated yarn I am going to try another one with at another time.  I have one started with Super Saver white right now.

I'll take a pix later.  I have, or am starting to list my items for sale on my facebook page.

The one I've really enjoyed is this one but there's many to try.

No comments: